1. Myth: Drinking fluoridated water causes fluorosis.
Fact: Fluorosis occurs due to intake of very high amounts of fluoride. In Australia, the amount of fluoride added to drinking water is 0.6 -1.1 mg/L which is very low likelihood to cause fluorosis.
2. Myth: Fluoride is dangerous for children.
Fact: Drinking fluoridated water helps to strengthen teeth and help prevent future tooth decay
3. Myth: Drinking fluoridated water will cause cancer.
Fact: Numerous studies and research have shown that the addition of fluoride does not increase the risk of cancer or other serious health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, or kidney problems.
4. Myth: Fluoridated water does not have an impact on tooth decay.
Fact: Numerous studies conducted show that fluoridation helps reduce tooth decay among both adults and children.
5. Myth: The risk of autism is increased by fluoride use.
Fact: No evidence from research or study indicates that the risk of autism is elevated because of fluoride or fluoridated water.
6. Myth: Fluoridated water is not necessary because of the fluoride in toothpaste.
Fact: The amount of fluoride in toothpaste doesn’t provide the level of protection needed to fight tooth decay. Together, fluoridated water and toothpaste work to provide maximum protection.